[Development] Is removing -remove-relocations in qt4 abi-changing?

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue Jul 7 19:33:33 CEST 2015

On Tuesday 07 July 2015 14:20:01 Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer wrote:
> We in Debian have been compiling qt4 with -remove-relocations since I stood
> up to maintaining it. Now with gcc5 there is the possibility to create a
> crash (the same fPIE/fPIC thing that hit qt5).
>
> My question is: removing -remove-relocations will break ABI?

Removing will not.

Adding -no-reduce-relocations will not break ABI.

Removing -no-reduce-relocations after you've had one release with it will
break ABI.

My suggestion: leave it up to the default.

GCC 6's -fno-plt sounds very interesting and may allow us to remove the -fPIC
requirement in some architectures.