[Development] Container benchmark was HEADS UP: Don't use QList, use Q_DECLARE_TYPEINFO

Marc Mutz marc.mutz at kdab.com
Sun Jul 12 18:18:40 CEST 2015

On Sunday 12 July 2015 16:29:58 Andreas Aardal Hanssen wrote:
> > On 12 Jul 2015, at 16:58, Marc Mutz <marc.mutz at kdab.com> wrote:
> > That's because your benchmark runs entirely in L1.
> > If you want to test containers of 10, 100, 1000 and 10000 elements each,
> > then make
> > - one run over 1×N containers of 10000 elements each,
> > - one run over 10×N containers of 1000 elements each,
> > - one run over 100×N containers of 100 elements each,
> > - one run over 1000×N containers of 10 elements each.
>
> This is getting defensive, and quite frankly, a bit boring. The fact that
> half of the emails are from one author defending his absolute view with
> increasingly complex arguments suggests action points be taken and the
> debate be closed.

ROTFL. You made my day. Martin asks increasingly narrowly.focused questions,
and you make that into me being defensive. Yeah, right.

Obviously, I beg to differ. It's not *my* view. It's just not *your* view:

- Scott Meyers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDIkqP4JbkE
- Chandler Carruth: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHNmRkzxHWs
- Herb Sutter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7zSU9HI-6I
- Alex Stepanov & Bjarne Stroustup:
http://www.stepanovpapers.com/container_benchmark.cpp
- Ulrich Drepper: http://www.akkadia.org/drepper/cpumemory.pdf

Clearly, all of the above (and Thiago, and Peppe, and Milian) are all wrong
and I am part of a big conspiracy.

> Clearly Marc should write a /book/ about which tricks should be applied
> when writing high performance code.

Those books have already been written. You should read them!

- Herb Sutter: Exception C++, More Exceptional C++, C++ Coding Standards
- Scott Meyers: Effective C++, More Effective C++, Effective STL, Effective
Modern C++
- ...

I expect you to view those videos and to read those articles and then I expect
you to apologise for this mail of yours.

Thanks,
Marc

Tel: +49-30-521325470
KDAB - The Qt Experts