[Development] Request to delete libibusplatforminputcontextplugin.so from qtbase

Takao Fujiwara tfujiwar at redhat.com
Tue Jul 21 09:00:45 CEST 2015

On 07/21/15 15:07, Thiago Macieira-san wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 July 2015 14:36:19 Takao Fujiwara wrote:
>>> * We need at least one input context to use and test against (on Linux)
>>> when developing Qt further. Not having the plugin in qtbase will lead to
>>> us not testing IMEs on Linux anymore, something I really want to avoid.
>>
>> I think you don't have to require IBus but other IMFs likes qt4.
>> gtk also does not include the IBus modules in itself.
>
> We don't develop gtk. We do develop Qt4 and we know that supporting complex
> input methods with it was a pain and it often regressed due to lack of
> testing. I think limiting the testing is doing a disservice to our users.

However I guess you won't complete IBus testings since there are various functionalities by languages.

>>> * As Sune said, the platform plugin headers are not stable, so having it
>>> in tree will give you a better chance of keeping things in sync with Qt
>>> releases
>> Some changes are not already acceptable even though the headers are not
>> stable. I think we could track the changes with bug trackers.
>
> That's a worse situation than keeping developing at the same pace.

Hmm..., This situation is conflict from IBus side...

>>> * The IMEs for pretty much all non Linux platforms reside in qtbase. Why
>>> should we handle Linux differently (except for the fact that there's
>>> still a multitude of IMEs on Linux :/ )
>>
>> But the current IBus module is not useful for users.
>
> Can you explain this a bit more? What are the issues?

https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-40541
Hangul users cannot commit the spaces with the right order.

https://codereview.qt-project.org/115603
The patch was submitted for qt 5.3 and rebase to head, 5.4, head, 5.5, head for about one year.
Now IBus requires asynchronously key event processes and I think it should be upstreamed asap.

Fujiwara