[Development] Qt LTS & C++11 plans (CopperSpice)

Ansel Sermersheim ansel at copperspice.com
Tue Jul 21 21:21:35 CEST 2015

Hi Gunnar,

We used to say "Qt" which we thought was the name of the project. We
were asked to use the name "The Qt Project".  We do not mind changing
how we address the company and the library. Since we meant to harm may
we suggest this be conveyed to others a little more gently.

As to your comment regarding licensing, I will quote from the current Qt
CLA, Section 3.1:
> Subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement, Licensor hereby
> grants, in exchange for good and valuable consideration, the receipt
> and sufficiency of which is hereby acknowledged, to The Qt Company a
> sublicensable, irrevocable, perpetual, worldwide, non-exclusive,
> royalty-free and fully paid-up copyright and trade secret license to
> reproduce, adapt, translate, modify, and prepare derivative works of,
> publicly display, publicly perform, sublicense, make available and
> distribute Licensor Contribution(s) and any derivative works thereof
> under license terms of The Qt Company’s choosing including any Open
> Source Software license.
I am not a lawyer but this language is very clear. It may not be The Qt
Company policy or practice to accept changes into the commercial version
only, but if I were to sign the CLA I would be granting them the right,
irrevocably and perpetually. Since these rights are transferable I have
no recourse if the license is transferred to another entity who uses my
contribution in a way I did not intend.

Most open source development communities are structured in such a way
that all participants have equal rights. The Qt Company is in a position
to exercise additional rights not enjoyed by the rest of the Qt
community. This is certainly a legal and enforceable position. However,
it bothers many members of the larger open source community including
myself.

We have talked with other developers and read discussions about this for
over a decade. Many members of the larger open source community,
including myself, are not comfortable with this clause.

Ansel Sermersheim