[Development] [dev] ( function does not work

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Jul 22 00:48:29 CEST 2015

On Tuesday 21 July 2015 09:38:20 최순황 wrote:
> Dear All
>
>    We are Samsung QA team for IoTivity.
>    We should execute our QA TC for IoTivity 0.9.2 Release.
>    but 70% of our CA TC use that API ( CAGetNetworkInformation() ) to get IP
> and Port information.
>    if 'CAGetNetworkInformation()' does not provide network information, we
> should remove most of our TC In addition, we may not be able to test
> arduino platform as Jo said before. We also think test case should be able
> to get network information in the same way.

Where is this code? Why were those tests not caught when the IPv6 changes
landed?

And why is this code using private API? Can you explain why the test needs
this extra information?

>    Therefore, We also think CAGetNetworkInformation() should provide more
> network information .

We may be able to revert it for now so testing can be done, but long term the
tests should be updated.

In general, tests should not rely on internal API. If they have to, for some
reason, the internal API in question needs specific markers in the source code
to warn anyone doing refactoring. This implies that those tests must be part
of the IoTivity source code. Anything outside of IoTivity CANNOT EVER use
internal API and IoTivity developers will assume that no one is doing that.

Some time after 1.0, those functions will disappear. You simply will not be
able to call them from outside of IoTivity and IoTivity's own tests.

If you have code outside of iotivity.git that calls a function that does not
start with "OC" or "OIC", fix it now. No exceptions.