[Development] Request to delete libibusplatforminputcontextplugin.so from qtbase

Knoll Lars Lars.Knoll at theqtcompany.com
Wed Jul 22 23:15:18 CEST 2015

On 22/07/15 16:56, "development-bounces+lars.knoll=theqtcompany.com at qt-project.org on behalf of Thiago Macieira" <development-bounces+lars.knoll=theqtcompany.com at qt-project.org on behalf of thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:

>On Wednesday 22 July 2015 07:20:06 Knoll Lars wrote:
>> We couldn’t easily ship it in Qt neither for both practical and legal
>> reasons. The practical ones are the items Thiago mentioned. The legal
>> reasons are that we can’t make it part of Qt without being under the CLA,
>> due to both the KDE Free Qt Foundation), as well as being able to offer it
>> under commercial terms to our commercial customers.
>
>I don't see how that is a problem. If that were a problem, you wouldn't be
>able to ship additional, commercial-only modules or allow installation of
>MinGW. So clearly the installer is allowed to install non-Qt things too.
>
>What am I missing?

MingW is an additional tool, not something our customers ship. 3rd party code inside our libraries is also something we can do if it's a free enough license (MIT/BSD/X11), but we can't shouldn't add LGPL code there without consent from the KDE Free Qt Foundation.

In addition, some of our commercial customers want to avoid LGPL code. Apart from WebKit and QtScript they can do that currently, but an IME plugin is much more central and hard to avoid using.

Cheers,
Lars