[Development] Replace QtXml backend

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Fri Jul 24 17:50:07 CEST 2015

On Friday 24 July 2015 15:26:30 Gerhard Scheikl wrote:
> Hi
>
> Unfortunately, the QtXml classes contain a lot of bugs and are not really
> maintained.

Hello Gerhard

Your question is answered mostly by your paragraph above: QtXml is in Done
state, so we really don't want to do major surgery in it, which could open the
door up for subtle incompatibilities.

I'm not even talking about introducing bugs that aren't there. That's sure a
concern. But even if you do your best, you may *fix* bugs that people are
accidentally depending on; or the simple fact of a change in behaviour could
result in existing code getting broken.

Are you prepared to accept all of those reports and react to them?

> So we came up with the idea to replace the back-end with Xerces and try to
> leave the Qt API part the same.

That's interesting.

How big is Xerces? How easy is it to build? How is it licensed?

> If we succeed, we would like to give this code back to the community and
> replace the current QtXml classes.

Do you include accepting maintainership of the module and reacting to bug
reports in "give this code back to the community"?

We're all for new and improved code, but when it comes with a large
maintenance burden, we have to analyse whether it's worth the hassle.