[Development] FW: Backwards compatibiltiy break in Qt 5.5

Olivier Goffart olivier at woboq.com
Tue Jul 28 09:28:08 CEST 2015

On Monday 27. July 2015 10:03:25 Thiago Macieira wrote:
> The whole thinking is that the use of operator<< for QString implies you're
> trying to figure out why that string is the way it is, as opposed to trying
> to convey a message.

I think that's where the disagreement is.

I would think the use of operator<< for QString is just trying to figure out
WHAT is that string.

Most of the code looks like
  qDebug() << "There was an error processing XYZ: " << job->errorString();
  qDebug() << "Error parsing file: " << fileName;
  qDebug() << "User entered: " << searchLineEdit->text();

Imagine that in a app written in russian for russian, or in other languages.
You really want to know what is the error message or the file name.

I use qDebug a lot, and I don't recall a single time I had problems with
homoglyph. However I already was annoyed by the Qt 5.5's escaping.

So if you ask my opinion, I think this regression should be fixed in Qt 5.5.x.

--
Olivier

Woboq - Qt services and support - http://woboq.com - http://code.woboq.org