[Development] Backwards compatibiltiy break in Qt 5.5

Daniel Levin dendy.ua at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 16:16:23 CEST 2015

I would repeat what I said in JIRA. Everything that Thiago explained makes
sense to me as soon as it does not break behavior of existing applications.

If global flag to enable escaping of QString contents is going to be
introduced then it should be disabled by default.

On changes that might break compatibility there should be some API that
defaults application behavior to the particular version. For example:

QCoreApplication::setDefaultPolicy(Qt::Version_5_4);

So when application is running under Qt 5.5.x it default behavior to what
is was in Qt 5.4. Something similar to QDataStream::Version.

For instance, you can look at CMake which has lot of updates in each
version that might change behavior, but they never ever break existing
application as soon as cmake_minimum_required() and cmake_policy() have
been used in your code.