[Development] FW: Backwards compatibiltiy break in Qt 5.5

André Somers andre at familiesomers.nl
Fri Jul 31 09:29:36 CEST 2015

Op 31-7-2015 om 09:20 schreef Knoll Lars:

> Anything except 1e will still change "C:\Users" to "C:\\Users" in the
> output,
> which was one of the complaints listed.
> Yes, but this is unavoidable. We need to escape non printable characters
> and quote, and this implies we also need to escape the backslash. My goal
> is to keep the string easily readable in all languages, which is what IMO
> is needed to make debugging and logging easy.

Does it? The output is not aimed at being C++ again. So, why is is
needed that the backslash is always escaped? Would it be possible to
only escape \ if it is followed by 0x in the actual string, and then
make escaped characters print as \0xAB01 or something like that (and
just leave the other occurences alone?) Or only escape them if there is
something else to escape? Or even choose a different escape character
completely, one that is not used as often?

Paths end up in debug statements quite often (at least, in the code I
work on) and I do find it confusing to have them escaped.

André