[Development] Qt 5.5.0 header diff: QtMultimedia.diff

Milian Wolff milian.wolff at kdab.com
Tue Jun 9 00:12:47 CEST 2015

On Monday 08 June 2015 17:50:31 Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On Monday 08 June 2015 15:40:01 Milian Wolff wrote:

> > > No.
> >
> > Why not? It's simply a bad recommendation.
>
> See the other email: we want to keep QList in the API.
>
> We could expand the recommendation with more uses, though.

Sorry Thiago, but imo your answers are not on topic: The documentation is
/wrong/. QList is _not_ the right container class to use "for most purposes".
If, inside Qt, it is currently (ab)used for historical reasons, well then
fine. But can be /please/ get rid of the prominent endorsement in the
documentation? Saying it should be preferred when interacting with existing
(Qt) API is something altogether different than saying it should be used by
default. It is *not* usually faster than QVector, and that is /especially/
because of the way it stores items in memory. That it expands to less code is
afaik true, but only to a small margin, according to the measurements done by
e.g. Volker Krause on KF5 code.

Bye

--
Milian Wolff | milian.wolff at kdab.com | Software Engineer