[Development] Some Qt3D feedback

Marc Mutz marc.mutz at kdab.com
Thu Jun 11 12:29:34 CEST 2015

On Thursday 11 June 2015 10:47:27 Stephen Kelly wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 11:49 AM, Marc Mutz <marc.mutz at kdab.com> wrote:
> > On Wednesday 10 June 2015 21:03:32 Stephen Kelly wrote:
> >> I would encourage a discussion of why this module needs namespaces when
> >> the  rest of Qt gets by without them. There is certainly a consistency
> >> angle.
> >
> > I think you come a few years late :)
> >
> > QtConcurrent
>
> Did you miss point 5 that I wrote here?
>
>  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.qt.devel/21775
>
> Where is QtQml::QQmlEngine for example?

I was listing namespaces that are used in Qt already. That was to rebut your
claim that the use of a namespace for a Qt library is new. It isn't.

There are two red lines that are worth noting when crossing:

1. A namespace is used in a public header for the first time.
2. A namespaced name is exported for the first time.

Both have been crossed in Qt already.

Whether "some of the library" or "all of the library" is in a namespace is not
a red line (and even if it was, QtConcurrent has crossed that already).

Neither is "only functions and enums" or "also classes" are namespaced.
Classes are nothing but collections of functions. Even if it was a separate
red line, qxmlpatterns crossed that line years ago, too.

So even if we follow your reasoning, Qt3D is doing nothing that QtConcurrent
and QtXmlPatterns, combined, haven't been doing for years. So the only new
thing is that instead of separate libraries, it's now used in one.

And that's fine, at least from my pov. But we can certainly discuss whether
that's valid for the Qt project as a whole (if we ain't got anything else to
do).

It anyway doesn't block the release, since Qt3D is only released as a tech
preview.

Thanks,
Marc

Tel: +49-30-521325470