[Development] QtCS: Notes from Modern C++ session

Olivier Goffart olivier at woboq.com
Fri Jun 12 18:07:51 CEST 2015

On Friday 12. June 2015 07:37:15 Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On Friday 12 June 2015 12:12:17 Olivier Goffart wrote:
> > Which mean using things like std::function, std::unique_ptr, in our ABI.
> > Should we allow that?
>
> The problem is deciding between std::function and std::__1::function.

That's not up to us to decide. That's up to the compiler/build system.

But the question is real:
Should we allow std library types in our ABI?

Cons:
 - We break binary compatibility when changing the std library or when the std
library breaks compatibility

Pros:
 - We don't have to re-invent every wheels.  (std::function for example would
be quite useful and re implementing it ourself is not trivial.)

Given that most users are using the std library anyway so they will have to
recompile their application as they change standard library, I think the
limitation is hurting us more than the benefit.

--
Olivier

Woboq - Qt services and support - http://woboq.com - http://code.woboq.org