[Development] Some Qt3D feedback

Ulf Hermann ulf.hermann at theqtcompany.com
Tue Jun 16 11:39:56 CEST 2015

> Note that in a world of auto variables, class names are no longer _that_
> important. Functions are important, they are still visible. But other than at
> initial creation, class names fade to be background.
>
> And now you tell me how using lots of auto is bad for readability,
> because you never know what type the variable has, to which I will
> reply that in Python, Perl, PHP, JavaScript and others, there's no
> way to spell the type of a variable, and people write very large
> projects in these languages and never look back.

Uh, no, you either don't write large projects in PHP (or Perl), or you do look back with *fond* memories. At least that's my experience. And the insane type system of PHP definitely has something to do with this. So, I do like to make it clear what types I'm using (except for specific situations like iterators in loops) and namespaces can definitely help here. I understand we're not exposing them in public API today, but that doesn't mean they're useless.

regards,
Ulf