[Development] Fwd: (QTBUG-46655) qt5base: font license files missing

Paul Olav Tvete paul.tvete at theqtcompany.com
Tue Jun 16 12:28:51 CEST 2015

On Sunday 14. June 2015 23.18.18 Thiago Macieira wrote:
> The file qtbase-opensource-src-5.4.2/lib/fonts/README
> states:
> 'Copyright statements and the source of the qpf fonts are located in
> ../../src/3rdparty/fonts'
>
> The directory src/3rdparty/fonts does not exist in qtbase-opensource-
> src-5.4.2.tar.xz archive.
>
> This directory exists in the 'old' qt-4.8.7 distribution and contains the
> various font license files.

> Does anyone know:
>
> a) where the font files come from?

I don't remember precisely, but most (if not all) were taken from whatever
Linux distribution we were using at the time when Qt/Embedded was made (around
1999/2000).

> b) what licences apply to them?

That should be the licenses contained in the Qt 4 repository.

> c) if those font files are still used in any version?

There is still code in Qt that reads and adds QPF files if they are installed,
but I do not believe this is commonly used. In any case,  if someone needs QPF
fonts they can get them from other sources than the Qt packages.  It sounds
like a good idea to remove the font files from qtbase.

TL;DR: Nuke it from orbit.

- Paul