[Development] Bluetooth support for Windows (RT/10) in Qt 5.6

Kalinowski Maurice Maurice.Kalinowski at theqtcompany.com
Tue Jun 16 14:42:21 CEST 2015

Hi everyone,

It might sound weird that while we're trying to get 5.5.0 out I am starting a discussion about Qt 5.6, but if you look at the release schedule there is not much time for the feature freeze

https://wiki.qt.io/Qt-5.6-release

One of the items the Windows / WinRT team would really like to see included to that release is support for Bluetooth and BTLE.

The current idea is to use the WinRT API for that backend, as it provides the advantage that it can also be used on Windows Desktop starting Windows 8(.1). WinRT covers Windows 10 support (both classic and Unified Windows Platform) as well.

This leaves out support for Windows Desktop older than Windows 8. But as we are aiming to implement new features, we should draw the line somewhere and the WinRT backend clearly has the biggest potential to be supported in many years' time, while the (or multiple) pure desktop solution would be deprecated sooner or later again. Also given the fact that we can target quite many platforms with one backend gives us a better coverage for maintenance and resourcing.

The reason that I am mentioning this on the mailing list is that after talking to some folks here in The Qt Company, multiple people inside and outside already started or wanted to start efforts on this topic. Hence the aim of this email is to get everyone connected and work on it together to make it happen within the 5.6 feature freeze.

So, if you have worked on Bluetooth (LE) on Windows or want to, please get in touch with me to align.

BR,
Maurice

--------
Maurice Kalinowski - Senior Manager, Qt Tools

Geschäftsführer: Mika Pälsi, Juha Varelius, Tuula Haataja Sitz der Gesellschaft:
Berlin, Registergericht: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg, HRB 144331 B

Email: maurice.kalinowski at theqtcompany.com | Mobile: + 49 175 187 19 52 | Phone:
+49 30 63 92 3255 www.qt.io |Qt Blog: http://blog.qt.digia.com/ | Twitter:
@QtbyDigia, @Qtproject | Facebook: www.facebook.com/qt