[Development] Question about GTK+ support status

Dmitry Shachnev mitya57.ml at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 16:32:54 CEST 2015

Hi all,

In Debian, we have recently removed the gtk2 platform theme from default
Qt 5 installation [1], and now I start getting reports about missing icons
in my Qt 5 application on Debian (currently Qt 5 supports themed icons
only on KDE and when using the gtk2 platform theme).

>From the discussion it seemed that we can keep the platform theme around,
but only if it is ported from GTK+ 2 to GTK+ 3. That task itself is not
hard, but then this theme will become incompatible with QGtkStyle, which
is using theming engine specific to GTK+ 2, and GTK+ 3 port does not seem
possible.

Looking at QGtkStyle, it not only relies on a deprecated library, but
doesn't play well with default GNOME theme (Adwaita). Also, the theme
authors usually do not care about GTK+ 2 anymore, and focus their efforts
on a CSS theme for GTK+ 3. Also, Adwaita theme is now available in a native
Qt 5 variant [2], i.e. Fedora ships it.

So my question is: can we drop the QGtkStyle completely and port the gtk
platform theme to GTK+ 3? I will contribute to that effort if it gets the
consensus.

[1]: https://bugs.debian.org/781148
[2]: https://github.com/MartinBriza/adwaita-qt

--