[Development] QtCS: Long Term Release discussion

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Jun 17 09:15:48 CEST 2015

On Wednesday 17 June 2015 09:01:19 André Somers wrote:
> Thiago Macieira schreef op 17-6-2015 om 08:57:
> > On Wednesday 17 June 2015 08:33:50 Giuseppe D'Angelo wrote:

> >> Mind to elaborate? Why is the "old Qt CI" a requirement or a blocker
> >> for a LTS release?
> >
> > Because that would imply keeping it running for a "long term" and the team
> > maintaining it would really like to turn it off ASAP, in favour of the new
> > solution that is more manageable and should have fewer flaky tests.
>
> Does the CI infrastructure depend on the Qt version then? What is it
> about 5.5 that prevents the CI from being upgraded?

Two different CI implementations. The "new CI" is being developed in lockstep
with Qt 5.6, including QtTest features. That means the "new CI" system cannot
be backported to 5.5.

In turn, to keep 5.5 long-term implies keeping the current infrastructure
long-term. The same infrastructure that we're having tons of problems with,
for flaky tests, inability to populate the test infra for Qt version, virtual
machine configurations, etc.

Since 5.5 LTS is an impossibility, the only alternative to minimising the
issues is to push the deprecations to 5.7 and do one more "official" release of
the to-be-deprecated code in 5.6.