[Development] Question about GTK+ support status

Dmitry Shachnev mitya57.ml at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 09:21:55 CEST 2015

Hi J-P,

On Tue, 16 Jun 2015 17:44:06 +0000, Nurmi J-P wrote:
> Given that QGtkStyle is no longer part of the public API in Qt 5, how about
> making it a QStylePlugin and moving it out of QtWidgets? If someone
> implements a style plugin for GTK+ 3, then it also becomes feasible to have
> platform theme plugins for both GTK+ 2 and 3. As you mentioned, a platform
> theme is the easy part. Implementing a QStyle for GTK+ 3.x is a lot more
> work.

I proposed removing QGtkStyle altogether, but moving it to qtstyleplugins is
also a good idea. We just need to make sure we don't load it when the platform
theme is gtk3 (as one can't load gtk2 and gtk3 libraries at the same time).

> configure: add support for GTK+ 3.x - https://codereview.qt-project.org/#/c/75599/
> QGtk3ThemePlugin - https://codereview.qt-project.org/#/c/75757/

Do we really need to keep gtk2 support in qtbase? I.e., do we really need to
keep gtk2 theme if we have gtk3 theme?

Also the latter patch will need some rebasing for new version and new
copyrights.

--
Dmitry Shachnev