[Development] QtCS: Long Term Release discussion

Giuseppe D'Angelo dangelog at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 10:34:39 CEST 2015

On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 9:15 AM, Thiago Macieira
<thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:

> Two different CI implementations. The "new CI" is being developed in lockstep
> with Qt 5.6, including QtTest features. That means the "new CI" system cannot
> be backported to 5.5.

Ok, thanks for explaining this out...

> In turn, to keep 5.5 long-term implies keeping the current infrastructure
> long-term. The same infrastructure that we're having tons of problems with,
> for flaky tests, inability to populate the test infra for Qt version, virtual
> machine configurations, etc.
>
> Since 5.5 LTS is an impossibility, the only alternative to minimising the
> issues is to push the deprecations to 5.7 and do one more "official" release of
> the to-be-deprecated code in 5.6.

I would agree to this plan; we can deprecate platforms we don't want
to support long term in 5.5 already, though, which is what has
happened with QNX. Maybe old OSX as well? GCC 4.4?

I would also push the "C++11 in our API" to 5.7 to minimise the risks.

Cheers,
--
Giuseppe D'Angelo