[Development] QtCS: Long Term Release discussion

Knoll Lars Lars.Knoll at theqtcompany.com
Wed Jun 17 12:27:20 CEST 2015

Going through the discussions and looking at our time schedule, here’s
another proposal how we could do things (slightly different from what we
discussed at QtCS):

* We make Qt 5.6 an LTS release
* We already have of the current dev branch on pretty much all platforms
supported in Qt 5.5 working in the new CI (exceptions in QNX 6.5). It’s
mainly about some details now and flipping the switch.
* We delay introducing hard dependencies to C++11 to Qt 5.7. This doesn’t
come at a huge cost from an R&D perspective as the 5.6 feature freeze is
in the beginning of August. So once everybody is back form summer
vacations, we could start cleaning up our code base aggressively.
* We could then have both WEC7 and WEC2013 (on VS2012) supported on 5.6.
This would solve all problems for Windows Embedded and we could make
VS2013 the compiler baseline for 5.7.
* We’d still remove the deprecated modules from our Qt 5.6 release (maybe
with the exception of Qt Script).

That would give us a pretty good baseline to work with for the LTS
release, we’d keep people on older compilers/OSes happy and we could move
a lot more aggressively towards C++11 in the dev branch directly after
summer vacations (from the beginning of August).

Opinions?

Cheers,
Lars