[Development] QtCS: Long Term Release discussion

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Jun 17 16:31:19 CEST 2015

On Wednesday 17 June 2015 10:34:39 Giuseppe D'Angelo wrote:
> > Since 5.5 LTS is an impossibility, the only alternative to minimising the
> > issues is to push the deprecations to 5.7 and do one more "official"
> > release of the to-be-deprecated code in 5.6.
>
> I would agree to this plan; we can deprecate platforms we don't want
> to support long term in 5.5 already, though, which is what has
> happened with QNX. Maybe old OSX as well? GCC 4.4?

Note that doing this means we'll be out-of-sync with the next Ubuntu LTS,
which was one of the goals. We'll be late by a couple of months, which means
the next opportunity won't come for another 18 months.

> I would also push the "C++11 in our API" to 5.7 to minimise the risks.

That's the least of the problems. The deprecations, especially of Qt Quick 1
and QtWebKit, are what people will be complaining about.