[Development] Some Qt3D feedback

Sean Harmer sean.harmer at kdab.com
Thu Jun 18 10:22:07 CEST 2015

On Thursday 18 Jun 2015 09:18:15 Giuseppe D'Angelo wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 9:08 AM, Simon Hausmann
>
> <simon.hausmann at theqtcompany.com> wrote:
> > Or would the idea be to place the Q_DECLARE_METATYPE outside of the
> > namespace?
> Why "the idea"? It's the way it's supposed to be used right now.

Indeed, and we've been using it extensively and have not encountered any
blockers with moc or the metatype system thus far. So in our experience there
are no technical blockers.

Qt3D is only a tech preview in 5.5 so we are free to change it at will. I'd
suggest we leave it as is for 5.5.0. For 5.5.1 I'd propose we resolve the
small namespace inconsistencies between the QML and C++ APIs as discussed
elsewhere in this thread and see how users get on with that with a view to
using it as a way of testing the waters for a larger rollout of namespaces for
Qt 6. I'd propose to do this in the way that was tabled during the development
of Qt5 but which we failed to enact upon.

For a new module I really don't see the small inconsistency c.f. the rest of
Qt of using namespaces as an issue - especially given the other
inconsistencies that have been discussed. Users will cope with this, I'm sure.

I am happy to document this on the wiki as guideline proposal for new modules
as Sze-Howe suggested.

Cheers,

Sean
--