[Development] Some Qt3D feedback

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Jun 18 15:45:06 CEST 2015

On 2015-06-18 09:07, Marc Mutz wrote:
> 4. Includes:
>    a. <QtFoo> includes the whole module (as is the case for QtCore, ... now)
>    b. There's no <QtLike> include for just the namespace (with enums, free
>       functions, etc). To get the namespace, users include any class from the
>       module (much like no-one is using <QtGlobal> atm, but relies on any
>       <QFoo> to include it indirectly).

Are you sure? I've used <QtGlobal> a good handful of times. In general I
find it helpful to be able to include just the types / macros / free
functions without dragging in some random class that I don't actually
care about.

Reasons I have used <QtGlobal>:

- I want only the macros
- I want only the platform / compiler feature symbols
- I want only some free function (e.g. qRound)
- I want only the convenience typedefs (e.g. qint64, qreal)

So I definitely would not say that there is no use for having a header
with a module's global entities separate from the per-class headers.

In fact, I'm annoyed that <QtNumeric> is missing... IMHO if it's a
public header, it should have a <CamelCaseName> wrapper. (Well, *was*
missing; it was added in Qt5, thankfully!)

--
Matthew