[Development] Qt & Namespaces (was: RE: Some Qt3D feedback)

Alberto Mardegan mardy at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Jun 18 15:58:21 CEST 2015

On 18.06.2015 15:59, Smith Martin wrote:
> Why not leave current Qt modules as they are, without namespaces and with the Q prefix on classes, and just introduce the option of adding a new module to Qt by putting it in a namespace named QtFoo without the Q prefix on class names, or adding it with no namespace and with the Q prefix on classes.

I can see the benefits of using namespaces when the namespace is longer
than a few characters.
But at lesat in the Qt3D case, IMHO it's much better to remove the
namespace because that will give all developers better search results
when they search for class names: searching for "Qt3DWindow" will only
give relevant results, while when searching for "Window" or "QWindow"
the desired results could get lost in the noise.

Ciao,
  Alberto