[Development] Qt LTS & C++11 plans

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Mon Jun 29 02:02:14 CEST 2015

On Monday 29 June 2015 01:22:17 Kevin Kofler wrote:
> GNU/Linux distributions will require QtWebKit to keep compiling for a LONG
> time to go.

You'd do everyone a service and stop that soon, as shipping a web engine that
is not receiving security updates is a dangerous thing to do. Applications
that depend on it will need to be ported away from it or dropped from the
repository, unfortunately.

> In fact, it is already a big problem for us that it is being deprecated at
> all. QtWebEngine is not an adequate replacement, neither for developers
> (insufficient API), nor for packagers (bundling Chromium that itself bundles
> dozens of libraries makes this a completely unacceptable package for at
> least Fedora and Debian). But even if it were, applications are not going
> to be ported to it overnight.

Chromium devs are willing to talk about unbundling. Have you reached out to
them?

> We cannot just ship the LTS Qt because some applications will definitely
> require the latest Qt, and having 2 different Qt 5.x versions around is NOT
> going to work. Unlike the average application developer, we have MANY
> applications and libraries to care about, and they need to be able to work
> together.

Fortunately, you will be able to compile QtWebKit and QtScript 5.6 with some
future versions of Qt. As long as someone is testing then and supplying build
fixes, it should work.

QtQuick1 will stop working soon after 5.6 due to its immense use of Qt private
API.