[Development] QtCore missing check for memory allocation

Oswald Buddenhagen oswald.buddenhagen at theqtcompany.com
Mon Mar 2 11:21:10 CET 2015

On Fri, Feb 27, 2015 at 09:26:14AM -0800, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On Friday 27 February 2015 09:20:54 Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> > the whole point would be *not* using unwrapped malloc and new(nothrow).
> > this can be trivially verified for our own code with a grepping bot.
>
> There's an easier solution.

replacing system functions seems a bit messy. but whatever.

on the "receiving side", i guess a signal handler that longjmp()s out of
signal context is about equivalent to a catch block, so it should be a
workable solution.

> > > The argument is that chain is as strong as its weakest link. If we don't
> > > fix all the holes, the bucket will still leak (pardon my switch of
> > > metaphors).
> > you can let this be somebody else's worry. our task is to enable a use
> > case, not to make it bullet-proof ourselves. the first step is not being
> > actively hostile to it.
>
> I am actively against it while it's a huge burden on us for little perceived
> benefit. You have to convince me of the benefit against the cost.

i still don't see that huge burden. i see introducing a few (inline)
functions in two alternative #ifdef branches, and a global search &
replace operation.