[Development] image format plugins

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Thu Mar 19 22:17:48 CET 2015

On Thursday 19 March 2015 21:13:42 Rutledge Shawn wrote:
> > Removing the files will not make the repository smaller. The actual
> > checkout size for most people will also be the same, since we're not
> > proposing removing from Qt, just moving around.
>
> Several years ago I started writing a giflib-based plugin with features that
> the existing one doesn’t have (to read and write text comments in the gif
> file was what I wanted, but probably giflib can do a few more things too).
> If I was to get it integrated, where should it live?  It would need a
> config option, because of depending on a system library: the existing
> plugin is better if you don’t have giflib, or don’t want the dependency.

We shouldn't have two plugins, so you should merge your code into the existing
plugin, even if it's two different .cpp files selected by qmake magic.

And I'd say that any configuration besides simple automatic detection should be
restricted to qtbase source code. So I'd say your expanded plugin should
remain in qtbase.