[Development] RFD: plugins vs QStringLiterals

Holger Freyther holger at freyther.de
Fri Nov 6 18:29:57 CET 2015

> On 06 Nov 2015, at 17:45, Knoll Lars <Lars.Knoll at theqtcompany.com> wrote:
>
> On 06/11/15 17:38, "Development on behalf of Giuseppe D'Angelo" <development-bounces at qt-project.org on behalf of dangelog at gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

> To me this points strongly to opt for never unloading plugins. We can of course offer a way to force the unloading if the user does it's own stuff and knows what he's doing. But Qt should probably never unload any plugins it loads, as we do not control those and don't know whether they are safe to unload.

FYI the musl libc has already made dlclose a no-op[1] out of concerns for the
robustness of applications. If you want to add a force option we would probably
need a way to flush "caches" in all of qt as well?

kind regards
	holger

[1] http://wiki.musl-libc.org/wiki/Functional_differences_from_glibc#Unloading_libraries