[Development] glib's and Qt's RuntimeLocation [OS X]

René J. V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 19:58:22 CET 2015

Petroules Jake wrote:

> PS: why did Qt choose ~/Library/Application Support for that location? Isn't
> the stuff stored there supposed to be volatile that doesn't need to survive
> reboots or end up in (Time Machine) backups?
>
> ~/Library/Application Support is non volatile and absolutely must survive
> reboots. ~/Library/Cache does not. --

Yes, that was the argument -- the "there" referred to RuntimeLocation which
AFAIK does not need to survive reboots or be backed up.

I'd have chosen $TMPDIR (aka QDir::tempPath()) myself. Contrary to
~/Library/Cache that one is cleared on each reboot, which seems advantageous at
least for the kind of things RuntimeLocation is used for in FOSS/Freedesktop
applications.

It's not much of an issue, though I did modify my QSP/XDG patch to include
RuntimeLocation when XDG mode is activated.