[Development] RFC: Proposal for a semi-radical change in Qt APIs taking strings

Bubke Marco Marco.Bubke at theqtcompany.com
Wed Oct 14 11:04:07 CEST 2015

Hi Lars

Knoll Lars <Lars.Knoll at theqtcompany.com>
> Agree here as well. We can’t make QString utf-8 backed without breaking
> way too much code. I also don’t see the need for it. The native encoding
> on Windows and Mac (Cocoa) is utf-16 as well, on Linux it’s utf-8. So no
> matter which platform we’re on, we won’t avoid some conversions.

With native do you mean the OS API's? There are many other API's which
are preferring UTF-8 for performance and/or size reason like databases.
Most text from the web is in UTF-8 because the overhead of Chinese signs
is still lower than the savings for the embedded tags around them.
I don't think we should orientate on the OS API's but more on the most performance
demanding ones. So why do we not provide a QUtf8String and use it for
example in networking. We don't need to change everything at once but
we should provide UTF-8 support so that our users do not have to invent
the wheel again and again like we do in Creator.