[Development] adding a custom entry to qmake's QT (or CONFIG?) - shared libs always linked in?

René J. V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 18:31:06 CEST 2015

Hi,

I'm getting closer to my goal, with a "true module" that can be added as "QT +=
qsp_xdg" or "find_package(Qt5QspXDG) ; target_link_libraries(...Qt5::QspXDG ..)"
The nice thing is that I didn't even have to write a cmake file: good work
there!

My initial idea had been to use an object file or static library, and figure out
how to pull in the latter even with using any of its symbols). But it looks like
shared libraries (OS X frameworks in this case) are always linked if passed to
the linker. So even without calling any of its functions or using any of its
global variables, my trick with a global variable that calls a QtCore function
in its ctor appears to work and have the intended effect.

I know it's not the most appropriate place to ask, but is this a guarantee with
shared libraries? (I'd add "why the difference with static libs" but that would
probably be pushing it :))

R.