[Development] RFC: Proposal for a semi-radical change in Qt APIs taking strings

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Oct 14 22:12:37 CEST 2015

On Wednesday 14 October 2015 17:55:34 Bubke Marco wrote:
> Think about a local aware compare which is called very very often. You don't
> want malloc in between. In in most cases you get an const char* or const
> shor* in this cases It would be nice if your interface would support UTF-8
> and not only UTF-16.

Three of the four implementations of QString::localeAwareCompare operate on
UTF-16 (Win32 CompareStringW, CoreFoundation's CFStringCompare and ICU
ucol_strcoll). That's another reason for keeping QString as UTF-16.

I don't think any of those even allocates memory, but it's impossible to tell
for sure with the CoreFoundation API.