[Development] RFC: Proposal for a semi-radical change in Qt APIs taking strings

Poenitz Andre Andre.Poenitz at theqtcompany.com
Fri Oct 16 09:10:01 CEST 2015

Marc Mutz wrote:
> > I think too we should embrace the standard library more and don't replicate
> > their features.
>
> So you think that QStringView is too experimental and _at the same time_
> replicating the standard. Sounds paradoxal to me.

It's not paradoxical at all. It would be a new implementation with the usual
need for maturing even if it implements a well-known standard concepts.

And there is indeed room for actual experiments, e.g. when it comes
structure layout. Pointer+int offset is not the only possible choice.

You cannot do that in Qt proper, due to BC promises. Compile-time opt-in
is a way to exempt it from BC, but then your main reason to have it in Qt
and not in Creator, namely 'more widespread use', is void, as barely anyone
will opt in. You'll get more public exposure (with less risk!) if it's used by
default in Creator code for a while before the then-matured implementation
goes to the library.

Andre'