[Development] RFC: Proposal for a semi-radical change in Qt APIs taking strings

Bubke Marco Marco.Bubke at theqtcompany.com
Sun Oct 18 14:18:40 CEST 2015

Hi Martin

After watching https://youtu.be/H9gAaNRoon4 I got a much better picture of string view. I really recommend to watch it. My understanding is that qstringview would be a qt implementation of string view and the conversation cost would be zero.

I find that very promising because it sould be very easy to use every string manipulation which is written for utf16 string view or qstringview with no cost and quite conveniently. So it really improves interoperability. :-)

There are other advantages of string view.  For example instead to a pointer of characters and size in a function signature it could be better statically analyzed.

I really think we should embrace it more openly.

Sent from cellphone