[Development] Requesting New Repository - QtZeroConf

Rutledge Shawn Shawn.Rutledge at theqtcompany.com
Thu Sep 10 13:26:45 CEST 2015

On Sep 10, 2015, at 12:05, Konstantin Tokarev <annulen at yandex.ru> wrote:

> 10.09.2015, 00:56, "Jonathan Bagg" <drwho at infidigm.net>:
>> Project name: QtZeroConf
>>
>> Project description:
>> QtZeroConf is a wrapper class for various mDNS discovery libraries across
>> multiple platforms:
>>
>> Linux -> Avahi-client
>> Android -> Avahi-core or Android Network Discovery Service
>> Embedded -> Avahi-core
>> MAC -> Apple's Bonjour
>> iOS -> Apple's Bonjour
>> Window -> Apple's Bonjour
>>
>> Responsible persons: Jonathan Bagg
>>
>> (playgound unless suggested otherwise)
>> Desired repository name: playground/qtzeroconf
>

> Does SSDP (UPnP) discovery fit into this project?

Maybe we should call the module something more generic like QtServiceDiscovery.  Zeroconf can be used to discover both devices and services, but a service on a device is the more specific thing of interest, right?

Zeroconf also covers self-assigning a network address if there is no DHCP server, but that’s irrelevant to this module, I suppose.  (e.g. dhcpcd does that if it times out while trying to find a DHCP server)

There are many attempts to come up with a less centralized alternative to DNS.  (namecoin, ipfs, various other projects using the DHT concept, even the magnet links used for bittorrent, etc)  So, maybe one of those would be in scope some day too.  Again the goal would be to map a well-known name to some sort of URI which identifies a service, or a specific file.