[Development] Requesting New Repository - QtZeroConf

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Thu Sep 10 17:47:12 CEST 2015

On Thursday 10 September 2015 07:07:49 Knoll Lars wrote:
> >I know it isn't compatible, but it is doing the same function. I'm not
> >asking
> >to replace mDNS support on Windows (interoperability), but I am asking if
> >it
> >makes sense to also add support for LLMNR as it's available anyway.
>

> I think that could make sense. But ideally, we would then support it cross
> platform.
>
> I’d be happy about a Qt add-on for zeroconf. Discovering services on the
> local network is something I think is missing in Qt at this point in time.

I don't know any project implementing LLMNR outside of Windows. It's clearly
dead in terms of further adoption and mDNS has won. So I don't think we need
to provide it for cross-platform interoperability. I'd say we provide mDNS for
that. In addition, we may provide some other IoT protocols currently in
development.

In any case, the gist of this discussion is that neither the module nor the
library should be called "zeroconf", if they provide more functionality.