[Development] Requesting New Repository - QtZeroConf

drwho at infidigm.net drwho at infidigm.net
Thu Sep 10 18:28:13 CEST 2015

> On Thursday 10 September 2015 09:47:57 drwho at infidigm.net wrote:
>> One thought I've had is that avahi-core be ported to Windows.  The issue
>> with this is that two separate Qt programs could each be running there
>> own
>> mDNS stack which you are not supposed to do.  The best solution for
>> windows is probably mDNSShared source.
>
> Doesn't Avahi have an in-process mode? Or does it always require an
> out-of-
> process service?

Both.
avahi-client is a convenience api that talks to the avahi-daemon over
dbus...most linux systems
avahi-core is for embedded environments and runs it's own mDNS stack...for
when there is no avahi-daemon

> D-Bus on Windows, for example, looks for dbus-launch.exe on PATH and
> starts
> it. If it's missing, QtDBus still compiles and you can ship your
> application,
> but refuses to connect anywhere. We could go for a similar approach, but I
> don't like it.

Apple's bonjour lib is like avahi-client in that it connects to
mDNSResponder.  mDNSResponder, or something like it is built into OSx and
iOS, but on windows comes in Apple's print services.

The wrappers that use avahi-client and Apple's bonjour lib would be the
same as QtDBus as in it would still compile and ship, but is really only
an issue for windows.

Jon