[Development] Enhancement to QIODevice?

Florian Bruhin me at the-compiler.org
Mon Sep 14 13:04:11 CEST 2015

* Andrzej Ostruszka <andrzej.ostruszka at gmail.com> [2015-09-14 12:25:20 +0200]:
>  From now on I'll talk about QIODevice only since QSerialPort is
> inheriting from it for the bulk of functionality (and this could also
> benefit QIODevice).
>
> Since '\n' is just hardcoded in QIODevice (actually in buffer used in
> its private part) one option would be to add it as last optional
> parameter to canReadLine() and readLine() with default value '\n'. What
> do you think?

As an electronics engineer using Qt, this would definitely make my
life easier sometimes.

I don't think this is about "protocols using weird line-endings" -
it's about the fact there are many sensible choices for low-level
protocols to signal frames, not only \n. As an example, I was dealing
with a protocol (via QSerialPort) which uses STX (start of text,
ASCII 0x02) as delimiter.

Florian