[Development] Using Howard Hinnant's date.h and tz.h for QDateTime and QTimeZone internals

Milian Wolff milian.wolff at kdab.com
Sun Sep 27 19:59:55 CEST 2015

Hey John, Qt people.

At CppCon Howard Hinnant had a talk on his date.h and tz.h library, which
looks excellent:

http://howardhinnant.github.io/date_v2.html
https://github.com/HowardHinnant/date/blob/master/date.h
https://github.com/HowardHinnant/date/blob/master/tz.h

The API seems excellent to me, and should also allow us to reuse it to
implement QDateTime and especially QTimeZone internals with it. The big factor
in favor here is that his library comes with a good C++ parser for the IANA
timezone data base. This should allow us to drop the ICU dependency for
timezones and simplify the code as well, I assume.

What do you (all) think?
--
Milian Wolff | milian.wolff at kdab.com | Software Engineer
Tel: +49-30-521325470