[Development] Qt 5.5.0 build issues on OS X : rpath

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Mon Sep 28 23:40:21 CEST 2015

On Monday 28 September 2015 21:30:33 Massimo Callegari wrote:
> > Can you explain what broke for you?
>
> Since Qt 4.8 and up to Qt 5.4.2 I was using the install_name_tool procedure
> as described here: http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/osx-deployment.html
> With prebuilt Qt 5.5.x clang64, QtFrameworks don't use absolute paths
> anymore, but instead they use @rpath, so calling something like this
>
> install_name_tool -change @rpath/QtCore.framework/Versions/5/QtCore
> @executable_path/../Frameworks/QtCore.framework/Versions/5/QtCore
> myapp.app/Contents/MacOs/myapp
> appears not to be working. (and not needed anymore)

Does the tool report an error now? Is that what broke?

> If Qt is built with -rpath, then an application is in charge to tell Qt how
> to resolve @rpath, thus the need of adding QMAKE_LFLAGS +=
> -Wl,-rpath, at executable_path/../Frameworks

And if you don't do that do your executable, the loading fails?

What if we add an extra rpath to Qt libs as @executable_path/../Frameworks?
Would this make loading work?

Jake, Morten: as a stop-gap, is there a configure-time switch to revert to the
old behaviour? This change seems to be too much for a patch release. It should
be left for 5.6.0 only.