[Development] gerrit : using branches (was: pointers to use it cleverly/efficiently?)

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 13:12:55 CEST 2016

On Monday April 04 2016 10:25:16 Welbourne Edward wrote:

More very useful info, thanks!

> For three-way diffs between two commits and their most recent common
> ancestor, you can use git diff $topic...$other, if you're comfortable
> reading three-way diffs,

I could be - using a side-by-side visual tool ;) But don't think I'd need those most of the time.

> However, ...
> you seem to mean you want the diff between some $topic and the current
> state of your work tree (rather than the last commit of the branch it's
> on);

No, once I start using topic branches to "stash" my work there's no more need to accumulated unstaged changes, I suppose.

I'd still have to integrate this with my regular workflow though. Most of the time I'm using KDevelop nowadays, including its CVS features (like getting a diff on a single file or directory via the context menu, which I then use to copy/paste to my distribution patchfiles open in a different editor). That's really more geared towards unstaged changes from what I can tell.

I've seen graphical utilities that attempt to show the branch hierarchy in some kind of tree, but apparently miss from `git help branch` if it's possible to know the origin branch of a topic branch. Is it?

R.