[Development] Qt 5.7.0 beta snapshot available - gtk 3 and packaging on RHEL 6

Dmitry Shachnev mitya57.ml at gmail.com
Sun Apr 17 15:14:51 CEST 2016

Hi Frederik, and sorry for the late response,

On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 04:50:18PM +0200, Frederik Gladhorn wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> for Linux packaging we currently use a Red Hat 6 which seemed like a good
> compromise at the time.
>
> I have been pondering https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-52259 for a while
> and don't seem to reach a conclusion.
> We had a contribution porting our gtk 2 theme to gtk 3 (thanks Dmitry!).
> The question is how to proceed, from what I can tell, it's not trivial to get
> gtk3 built on rhel6.
> For Linux distributions this is of course not a problem, but the Qt installer
> is currently built without any gtk plugin compiled.
> In the future (Qt 5.8), I'd like to switch to rhel 7 as packaging platform, so
> this problem should go away.
>
> For Qt 5.7, the options seem to be:
> 1.) ignore the problem and ship Qt packages in the installer without gtk theme
> 2.) revert the patch to have the gtk2 theme for one release longer and only
> have gtk3 with Qt 5.8
> 3.) package on rhel 7, but I'm told, we're already too late in the cycle
>
> Any ideas appreciated. In general I have a hard time seeing how to cleanly
> create packages on Linux, unless we basically ship an entire distro (similar
> to Chrome and others)... I'd love to learn about good approaches, since
> packaging on something "old enough to run everywhere" and "new enough to allow
> all dependencies to be built" seems hard to achieve.

The GTK+ platform theme is actually a plugin (the libqgtk2.so file). Maybe
it can be built and/or distributed separately?

The biggest issue with missing GTK+ theme one needs to be aware of is that
Qt won't be able to detect the system icon theme on some environments (as that
part is currently provided by the GTK+ theme).

--
Dmitry Shachnev