[Development] Request for a new project to handle sf2 (soundfont) libraries

Michael Jordan jordan.software54 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 02:21:11 CEST 2016

I apologize in advance for sending a duplicate to the wrong list. My email client mangled the address. I hope I have the proper list now.

Hello,

I have developed a library based on Qt that handles sf2 (soundfont) libraries. It is moderately well developed at this point, so I would like to introduce it to the community in the proper way. I currently call it sflib. It has had no public exposure, but my personal testing has been as follows:

The soundfont 2.0 specification is a freely available specification which can be downloaded here: http://freepats.zenvoid.org/sf2/sfspec24.pdf <http://freepats.zenvoid.org/sf2/sfspec24.pdf>

sf2 files are files which contain sound samples, most usually in wav format. They may contain anywhere from 1 to 100’s of different samples for 1 to 100’s of different kinds of instruments. A large variety of sf2 files are available for free on the Internet, and can be downloaded and played with free software (e.g. linuxsamplesr, synthfont, fluidsynth). This library will allow you to access the individual samples within an sf2 library containing multiple samples and repackage them to your liking. It uses Qt containers (QByteArray, QString, QMap, etc.) for information exchange between the host application and the sf2 package. This makes querying and unpacking/repacking a very trivial experience for anyone familiar with Qt. I have tested it with my personal library of sf2 files which, once parsed out, produced a collection of about 6300 individual sf2 files flawlessly. My current implementation has been tested with the latest Qt5 build.

I would eventually like to develop the library to the point of delivering data live to a host synthesizer. Development has not been completed to this point yet.

I have read over the information at https://wiki.qt.io/Creating_a_new_module_or_tool_for_Qt <https://wiki.qt.io/Creating_a_new_module_or_tool_for_Qt>. While I feel the library is now functionally at a beta stage, it may certainly require some restructuring in order to assimilate appropriately with the current Qt directory architecture.

Please advise me as to the proper way to allow me to present the code for review and advisement.

Thank you,

Michael Jordan