[Development] Which changes are suitable for 5.6?

Marc Mutz marc.mutz at kdab.com
Fri Aug 12 10:52:52 CEST 2016

Hi,

I'd like to know what the rules are supposed to for submitting to 5.6 (LTS).

Should we enforce the strict rules of other minor releases (only regressions
and P2+)?

IMHO, 5.6 is not like 5.5. So with another 2+ years of 5.6 lifetime, more
relaxed rules should apply.

I'd like all bug-fixes to go to 5.6 first, even if the priority is not high,
and regressions cannot be ruled out (they never can, anyway).

I also think that dead code elimination should be in-scope for 5.6, to not
construct unessesary diffs between 5.6 and dev.

And last, some authors target optimisations at 5.6, some at 5.7 and others (me
included, even though I sympathise with submitting to 5.6) at dev/5.8. What's
the stance on this?

Thanks,
Marc

Tel: +49-30-521325470