[Development] Which changes are suitable for 5.6?

Marc Mutz marc.mutz at kdab.com
Fri Aug 12 14:00:10 CEST 2016

On Friday 12 August 2016 13:18:52 Lars Knoll wrote:
> > On 12 Aug 2016, at 12:01, Olivier Goffart <olivier at woboq.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Freitag, 12. August 2016 10:52:52 CEST Marc Mutz wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>

> >> I'd like to know what the rules are supposed to for submitting to 5.6
> >> (LTS).
> >>

> >> Should we enforce the strict rules of other minor releases (only
> >> regressions and P2+)?
> >>

> >> IMHO, 5.6 is not like 5.5. So with another 2+ years of 5.6 lifetime,
> >> more relaxed rules should apply.
> >

> > In my interpretation, LTS means it's just a stable branch, but that will
> > stay  maintained longer, with the same criterias as normal stable
> > branches.
> > [https://wiki.qt.io/Branch_Guidelines#Where_to_push_a_change.3F] That
> > is, we make sure it works longer with more recent compiler/platform and
> > keep security patches or crashes patches.
>
> Yes, same criteria as normal stable branches apply. The difference is that
> we might (but don't have to) do some additional work to ensure 5.6 works
> on newer OS versions if they come out during the lifetime of 5.6.

Well, we told people "look, Qt 5.7 will drop support for your platform, and
require C++11, but don't worry: you have 5.6 LTS". I doubt those people would
be happy if they didn't get their bugs fixed because they don't involve
crashes or security exploits.

And if you look at what goes into 5.6, I don't buy that they're all critical
crash or security fixes. The masses vote with their feet. Don't shoot the
messenger. I think 5.6 is better for it. _Now_ you can shoot :)

Thanks,
Marc

Tel: +49-30-521325470
KDAB - Qt, C++ and OpenGL Experts