[Development] New repository for QtOAuth

Sune Vuorela nospam at vuorela.dk
Sat Aug 13 09:28:58 CEST 2016

On 2016-08-12, Fredrik de Vibe <fredrik.devibe at qt.io> wrote:
> We have recently been working on an implementation of OAuth (1+2), and
> this is now approaching a state in which it can be distributed as a tech
> preview. For this we'll need a new public repository.

there is a handful of external projects doing oauth with qt. Have
anything been done to ensure applications don't blow up if several
libraries gets loaded into the same process?

The ones I've found seems to have some of the following distinguishing
marks

One puts everything in namespace QOAuth and has a QtOAuth header

One seems to put everything with O0foo O1foo and O2foo

another one seems to name everything like KQOAuthfoo (and despite the
name, I don't think it has any ties to the KDE project)

and one just with a class OAuth2, and this one looks a bit like example
code.

So, depending on how the qt project qtoauth is done, it might conflict
to some degree with the first of them.  The first of them is also
available in Debian and other linux distributions as qoauth (libqoauth1
and libqoauth-dev)

> The main reason for OAuth to reside in its own module (and not as a part
> of qtnetwork) is that it is specialized, and most qtnetwork users won't
> need it. This avoids increasing the footprint of, and unnecessary
> complexity in, qtnetwork. Another reason is that OAuth, while depending
> on and using networking mechanisms, isn't in itself really a networking
> mechanism.

Agreed.

/Sune