[Development] Which changes are suitable for 5.6?

Olivier Goffart olivier at woboq.com
Tue Aug 16 10:06:09 CEST 2016

On Freitag, 12. August 2016 09:02:08 CEST Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On sexta-feira, 12 de agosto de 2016 14:00:10 PDT Marc Mutz wrote:
> > Well, we told people "look, Qt 5.7 will drop support for your platform,
> > and
> > require C++11, but don't worry: you have 5.6 LTS". I doubt those people
> > would be happy if they didn't get their bugs fixed because they don't
> > involve crashes or security exploits.
> >
> > And if you look at what goes into 5.6, I don't buy that they're all
> > critical  crash or security fixes. The masses vote with their feet. Don't
> > shoot the messenger. I think 5.6 is better for it. _Now_ you can shoot :)
>
> I agree with Marc, we should allow fixing bugs besides those that are
> critical or regressions. Even the regression category will change: once 5.6
> is a year old, we'll start making judgement calls that we "had better leave
> it this way".
>
> I would prefer we do fix bugs that we can, so long as we can reasonably say
> that they are reasonably safe of causing further issues. At least for the
> next six months.
>
> We should probably become progressively stricter as the branch becomes
> older.

Any rationale for this way?
I disagree that we should fix non-critical bugs or regression.

If the bug has been there for several years already and the user could live
with it, they can continue to work it around unti they upgrade to the newer
Qt. It can be seen as a feature.

Our product is the latest version of Qt. LTS means previous versions stay
supported, not actively developped.

--
Olivier

Woboq - Qt services and support - https://woboq.com - https://code.woboq.org