[Development] qtbase/d8be811 makes it impossible to specify include path for zlib when building qtbase?

Oswald Buddenhagen oswald.buddenhagen at qt.io
Fri Aug 19 12:53:25 CEST 2016

On Thu, Aug 18, 2016 at 04:26:30PM +0200, Kasper F. Brandt wrote:
> In d8be811[0] qt_build_extra was made to skip the inclusion of
> EXTRA_DEFINES, EXTRA_INCLUDEPATH and EXTRA_LIBS into resp.
> DEFINES, INCLUDEPATH and INCLUDEPATH. This means that if you e.g. try to
> specify the include path to zlib with -I <path/to/zlib/headers> to
> configure then the compilation of bootstrap fails in qbytearray.cpp because
> it can't find zconf.h.

if it fails to find the .h now, it will fail to find the .so/.a later
on as well.

it could have worked before only if you mixed the host paths into the
target paths, and made sure that the target would not actually use them
(i.e., -qt-zlib, and having the paths not contain any of the other
libraries qt could find), which is rather fragile.

> Is there some other way you are supposed to specify the include path,
> or is this an oversight?

i think the commit message is pretty clear in this regard.

On Thu, Aug 18, 2016 at 07:58:47AM -0700, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On quinta-feira, 18 de agosto de 2016 16:26:30 PDT Kasper F. Brandt wrote:
> > Is there some other way you are supposed to specify the include
> > path, or is this an oversight?
>
> It's coming back in another commit.

the commit you're thinking of (which is in dev, not 5.6, for that
matter) still would not enable overrides of the host configuration (we
discussed that option, but i didn't implement it so far).