[Development] On deprecated APIs

Marc Mutz marc.mutz at kdab.com
Wed Aug 31 21:38:03 CEST 2016

Hi André,

On Wednesday 31 August 2016 21:04:27 André Pönitz wrote:
> They are not completely independent, but a 'Q_FOREACH' ban in Qt
> proper does not have to imply its removal for users. If it is
> not useful in your view, you can mention it in the docs. Breaking
> formerly compilable code for no good reason is not a good base
> for a 'contract'.

All the text in my email (which you cut away) is about how _not_ to break
formerly compilable code, for *any* reason.

What I actually don't understand is why people are so keen on enabling -
Wdeprecated and at the same time don't want to move a finger about it.

Why enable it if it just annoys you? Why not just *not enable* the warning?
The fear, I guessed, is that if you don't enable it, you will get caught with
your pants down when your start compiling against Qt 6.

So this proposal is for a way to lift that fear, so people who don't want to
don't feel that they need to enable -Wdeprecated, turning it into its former
meaning: API we have deprecated, not removed.

So, do you have any opinion on the actual proposal?

Thanks,
Marc

Tel: +49-30-521325470
KDAB - Qt, C++ and OpenGL Experts